Friday, February 1, 2013

January Reading Rundown



First of all, I’m in love with the website GoodReads. Not only does it allow me to pass suggestions and reviews back and forth with my friends I don’t often get to see in person, it has an amazing encyclopedia of books to build lists of future reading.  Last year, I joined the 2012 Challenge and read 50 books. I jointed the same challenge for 2013 and also a group that is reading cozy mysteries (my goal is to hit “super sluth” level by reading 13 cozies). 

Most days you will find me reading, with my morning coffee or tea, reading during lunch and reading before bed at night. You will never see me leave the house without a book or my Kindle in my purse. You could say I'm "A Reader." I'm hoping some of you are too and that we can talk about books here. So, I’ve decided to do a monthly rundown of what I’ve been reading and tell you about my favorite book for the past month (bold titles denote cozy mysteries).

In January I read:

A Deadly Snowfall by Cynthia Gallant-Simpson

A Deadly Chocolate Pi by Cynthia Gallant-Simpson

A Deadly Fish Tale by Cynthia Gallant-Simpson

Autobiography of a Fat Bride by Laurie Notaro

Death of a Gossip by M.C. Beaton

My Favorite:

It’s month one of the rundown and I’m already breaking the rules! This month is a tie between Notaro and Beaton, two very different books that I couldn’t put down. Notaro writes humor essays that are so funny Future Hubby hates when I read them in bed, because my laughing is not conducive to his sleeping. I always keep one of her books around, because 25 pages are the perfect way to turn around a bad day.  Beaton’s book is the first in her series featuring Constable Hamish Macbeth in the highlands of Scotland. It’s a cozy mystery, no blood, guts or gore. Just a lot of tea, a minor romance undertone and lots of talk of the greatness of the highlands mixed with a bit of clever detective work by Macbeth. BBC Scotland picked up these stories and created a television series loosely based around them which are a great watch for a blustery weekend.  

Total Count:   5 (4)

Note: I won't provide links to purchase these books, as I would like to encourage you to do it from your local bookseller (if you have one). Buy LOCAL!
This month, the books by Gallant-Simpson are self-published as Kindle books and are only available from Amazon currently.

1 comment:

  1. oooh! I love the booklist idea. I always seem to have about eight books going at the same time, but am always ready to hit "pause" and try out something outside of my norm.

    and I do agree, reading really can give the turnaround to a no-good-very-bad-day

    ...and it just hit me really that january is already over! yikes!

    ReplyDelete