Saturday, December 29, 2012

The Mystique of a Quilt


This time of year, the only thing that can give knitting a run for its money, in my book, is quilting. I can’t help but thinking, as I sit at my sewing machine, that I should quilt and knit all summer so I actually have the cozy products to warm us through the winter months, but c’est la vie, the urge never hits until my toes get cold during the day and I wake up in the morning with a red nose.

A few years back I stumbled across this photo: 

  [ Photo Credit: Cluck Cluck Sew ]

An amazing stack of quilts. Often I think about that photo, and attempt to dream  it into reality in my own home. I envision cuddling up on our second hand sofa with a huge quilt, a cup of tea and a book during the Fall rains, or of hastily piling them on our bed before a February snow storm or of our future children building forts out of them, sprawled across dining room furniture. Then I realized that if I spent as much time quilting as I did entertaining these fantasies I would be half way there already!
So, the quilt a year project came into being. One quilt, in twelve months… sounds simple enough, right? Wrong. I started this little goal in 2008 and the 2012 quilt  is only the second completed quilt.

  [My Finished Quilt Top]

When I say 2012 is completed, I mean the top piecing is done… the quilting is still under deliberation. I’m struggling, weighing the cost of having it beautifully long arm quilted vs. the total pain in the butt and possible disappointment of finished product of attempting to quilt a queen size quilt on my 1962 Kenmore.  What would you do?

3 comments:

  1. on the machine! on the machine! get a good walking foot and shake off that hand quilting idea! now, don't get me wrong, done by hand is a beautiful, beautiful thing, but will take nearly as long (and nearly as much procrastination) as it has just to get to this point!

    sorry for all of the exclamation points. i am done now.

    i have a quilting project, too and seem to be having the same problems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.cluckclucksew.com/2011/02/you-asked-for-it.html

    I just learned that you can do a reverse image search on google, so I did and I found where that photo came from!

    ReplyDelete